Voice from the Commonwealth
Commentary, World Views and Occasional Rants from a small 'l' libertarian in Massachussetts

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest for freedom, go home and leave us in peace. We seek not your council nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams
.

Sunday, August 25, 2002

The stories around Zimbabwe are gaining speed and momentum. First, Jack Straw (from Witchita) has come out swinging in advance of Tony Blair's trip to Johannesberg.

Mr Straw said Zimbabwe was a "self-made pariah, not a colonial victim". "Robert Mugabe is leading his country to ruin. The decline in Zimbabwe's fortunes has been swift and devastating. "In the name of land reform policies he is reducing his people to starvation. "A fraudulent election earlier this year was characterised by murder and intimidation.

"His continuing use of state-organised violence since then underlines his determination to hold on to power at all costs." He went on: "Human rights abuses, violations of the rule of law and economic illiteracy have made Zimbabwe an outcast regionally and globally."


Next comes a story of what the opposition faces.

Chipwanyira, 34, is from the Buhera district of southeastern Zimbabwe. 'I am a peasant farmer and the deputy constituency secretary for the MDC [the Movement for Democratic Change, Zimbabwe's opposition party].

'On 14 July four riot police and two members of the CIO [Central Intelligence Organisation] came to my house. They fired guns at me. I was very much afraid and I fell down. They beat me with their fists and baton sticks. My arm broke and I fainted. I only woke up at the police station.

'The police told me that I was selling Zimbabwe to the British and that I did not fight to liberate Zimbabwe. They told me to go to Britain. They asked me what we discussed at MDC meetings, especially when the party's president, Morgan Tsvangirai, was present. I did not want to disclose anything,' said Chipwanyira. 'For three days the police kept beating me. They held me down and beat my feet until they were swollen like big balls. They beat my back and my legs. They smashed my fingernails. This was at the police station. I know the names of some of the police constables who did this.'


'The use of torture has reached epidemic proportions in Zimbabwe,' says Reeler. 'Our data suggests between 400,000 and 600,000 people have experienced some form of torture in the past two years. This is a terrible wound on the national psyche that will take years to heal.

When will we start seeing this make the headlines here in America? When will our newsrooms get over their squeamishness in covering the murderous nature of Robert Mugabe? I hope it does not come too late for all those who want peace.

Update: Here is the full text of Straw's comments

< email | 8/25/2002 12:46:00 AM | link




<< Designed by Ryon



Western Civilization and Democracy Net Ring

The Western Civilization and Democracy Net Ring celebrates Western civilization and its universal values of individual freedom, political democracy and equal rights for all. All sites promoting human rights and democracy are welcome.

[Prev Site] [Stats] [Random] [Next 5 Sites] [List Sites] [Next Site]